“Honuts” – Baked Vegan Gluten-Free Donuts
April 8, 2019
These Baked Vegan Gluten-Free Donuts are super easy to make, and are much healthier than traditional fried donuts. Glaze them with your favorite frosting.
"Honuts" - Baked Vegan Gluten-Free Donuts
- 3/4 cup (100g) coconut sugar (or rapadura sugar)
- 3/4 cup (90g) brown rice flour (or sorghum flour)
- 1/2 cup (80g) potato flour
- 1/3 cup (40g) chickpea flour
- 4 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of Celtic sea salt
- 3/4 cup (160ml) hot water
- 1/3 cup (90ml) virgin coconut oil, melted
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder (or paste)
Pre-heat your oven to 350°F/180°C/160°C fan.
Brush two six-mold donut trays with melted coconut oil and set aside. (If you only have one donut tray, cook in two batches.)
In a bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, and set aside.
Add the wet ingredients (the hot water, melted coconut oil, applesauce and vanilla) to your blender, and process for 5 to 10 seconds, until well combined. Add the dry ingredients, and process on high for 20 to 30 seconds until smooth.
Drop spoonfuls of batter into each donut mold, using the end of your spoon handle to drag the batter around the ring.
Bake the donuts for 20 to 22 minutes until cooked through. Let them cool in the mold for 5 minutes before releasing with a knife.
Recipe and photo published with permission from The Virtuous Tart by Susan Jane White.