Gluten-Free Vegan Carrot Cupcakes
These gluten-free vegan carrot cupcakes from Erin McKenna of Babycakes NYC rock!
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 24 cupcakes
- 3 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Celtic sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup melted virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened rice milk
- 1 tablespoon natural vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- To make the frosting, combine the soy milk, soy powder, coconut flour, maple syrup, and vanilla in your blender.
- Blend the ingredients for 2 minutes.
- With the machine running, slowly add the oil and lemon juice, alternating between the two until both are fully incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into an airtight container and refrigerate for 6 hours or for up to 1 month.
- If you are using this mixture as a sauce, store the mixture at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- To make the cakes, preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Line 2 standard 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners.
- In your food processor, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Add in the oil, agave nectar, rice milk, and vanilla to the dry ingredients just until a thick batter forms.
- Slowly add the hot water and continue mixing until the batter is smooth.
- Using a plastic spatula, gently fold in the carrots just until they are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour 1/3 cup batter into each prepared cup, almost filling it.
- Bake the cupcakes on the center rack for 25 minutes, rotating the tins 180 degrees after 14 minutes. The finished cupcakes will bounce back slightly when pressed, and a toothpick inserted in the centre will come out clean.
- Let the cupcakes stand in the tins for 20 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Using a frosting knife, gently spread 1 tablespoon of vanilla frosting over each cupcake.
- Store the cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.