Mayim Bialik’s Vegan Mac and Cheese
March 23, 2014
Mayim Bialik’s vegan mac and cheese recipe is easy and popular with kids. You can throw this easy dish together in less than 30 minutes.
Mayim Bialik's Vegan Mac and Cheese
Mayim Bialik's vegan mac and cheese recipe is super easy and really popular with kids. You can throw this easy dish together in less than 30 minutes.
- 1 (16oz) pack gluten-free macaroni
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 (8oz) bag shredded vegan cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste (optional)
- 1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs
Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain when al dente and place in a large bowl.
Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
Heat 1 cup of the nondairy milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. In a cup, whisk the flour into the remaining 1/4 cup of milk until dissolved. Add it slowly to the heated milk, whisking as you go. Add the shredded cheese, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper and stir constantly until the cheese is dissolved and the sauce is bubbly, about 5 minutes.
Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta, and stir to combine.
Grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with oil, and transfer the coated pasta into the dish. Cover the pasta with the bread crumbs. Bake, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover and broil until browned on top, about 5 minutes.