The Best Vegan Mac and Cheesefrom The Perfect Blend cookbook
January 29, 2012
If you’re looking for the best vegan mac and cheese recipe this version from The Perfect Blend cookbook will rock your world. It’s absolutely delicious!
The Best Vegan Mac and Cheese
If you're looking for the best vegan mac and cheese recipe this version from The Perfect Blend cookbook will rock your world. It's absolutely delicious!
- 1 pound (454g) gluten-free elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Celtic sea salt
- 4 cups (220g) diced shiitake mushrooms (or cremini)
- 1 tablespoon wheat-free tamari
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup (150g) diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup (140g) raw unsalted cashews, soaked
- 1 cup (140g) steamed cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup (44g) nutritional yeast, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion, plus more to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and a pinch of salt. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package until al dente, and drain thoroughly.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large skillet over medium heat, warm 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and sauté the mushrooms with the soy sauce and thyme for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, until soft and translucent. Allow to cool slightly.
- To make the sauce, throw the onion mixture, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, the broth, lemon juice, cashews, cauliflower, nutritional yeast, miso paste, turmeric, and cayenne pepper into your blender, and blast on high for 30 to 60 seconds, until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the pasta to a large pot, and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Stir the sauce into the pasta along with the mushrooms and gently warm over low heat. Stir in the parsley, chives, and green onions. Add salt and pepper to taste.