Vegan Cream Of Artichoke Soupfrom The Perfect Blend cookbook
March 14, 2012
This vegan cream of artichoke soup from The Perfect Blend book is easy and is absolutely incredible. Don’t miss the truffle oil and thyme!
Vegan Cream Of Artichoke Soup
This vegan cream of artichoke soup from The Perfect Blend book is easy and is absolutely incredible. Don't miss the truffle oil and thyme!
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or extra-virgin olive oil)
- 2 cups (300g) diced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- Celtic sea salt
- 1 cup (100g) chopped cauliflower florets
- 6 cups (1.4l) vegetable broth
- 4 1/2 cups (720g) thawed frozen artichoke hearts (or 3 (8.5-ounce/240g) cans artichokes in water)(see notes)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (35g) blanched slivered almonds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more to serve
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons truffle oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the onions and garlic with a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the cauliflower and sauté for another minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, artichokes, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, the pepper; increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, until the cauliflower is just tender.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, stir in the nuts and fresh thyme booster, and allow the soup to cool slightly.
- Pour the soup into your blender in batches and puree on high for 30 to 60 seconds until smooth and creamy. (For conventional blenders, remove the small center lid cap and cover the opening with a kitchen towel so steam can escape while you blend.) Return the soup to the saucepan, add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, lemon juice, and truffle oil booster. Tweak the salt, pepper, lemon juice, and thyme to taste, and warm the soup over low heat. This soup also tastes phenomenal cold.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and garnish each bowl with freshly ground pepper and the parsley booster. Pass lemon juice, pepper, and salt at the table.