Indian Chickpea Crepes
November 17, 2017
This chickpea crepes are gluten-free and vegan, and have an incredible savory Indian flavor. Serve these with a chutney and curry for an incredible dinner.
Indian Chickpea Crepes
These gluten-free, vegan savory Indian crepes are super easy. They’re fantastic served with curries and chutneys.
- 1 1/4 cups (300ml) lukewarm filtered water (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or olive oil, plus more for cooking
- 1 cup (125g) besan (gram flour) or chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour (see note)
- 3/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kala namak (Indian black salt) (optional)
- 1/2 cup (19g) firmly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- Pour the water and oil into your KitchenAid® Pro Line® Blender, and then add the flour and the dry ingredients, except the cilantro. Process on variable speed 3 for about 5 seconds just until the mixture is combined with no lumps. (You don’t want to over process.) Add the cilantro leaves, and process on variable speed 3 for about 3 seconds just until the cilantro leaves are roughly chopped, but not fully blended.
- Transfer the batter to a jug, and let the batter sit for 10 to 15 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Using a paper towel, very lightly coat an 8-inch (20cm) nonstick crepe pan or frying pan with about 1/2 teaspoon of oil. Heat the pan over low to medium-low heat, depending on your stove. Lift the pan off the heat and pour in a scant 1⁄3 cup (75ml) of the batter, quickly swirling the pan to allow the mixture to evenly coat the bottom of the pan. (I swirl the batter twice over the edges so that they don’t get too thin and crispy.) Return the pan to the heat and cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until bubbles form on the top and the sides lift easily from the pan. Gently flip the crepe with a spatula and cook for about 1 minute more, until lightly browned. Transfer the crepe to a plate. Repeat this process with the remaining batter, lightly greasing the pan with paper towel between each crepe. Stack the finished crepes on top of each other so that they soften and remain pliable.
- Serve with chutneys, dips, or stuffed with vegetables.