This vegan paella is ridiculously good and has something for everyone to enjoy.
Prep Time 50 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 6 oz sliced shiitake mushrooms (or cremini)
- 1 tablespoon Celtic sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking rice
- 1 pack frozen thawed artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1 cup organic shelled edamame
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeds removed, and diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
Steep the bay leaf, paprika, cayenne pepper, and saffron threads in the vegetable broth.
In a large work over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil, and sauté the onion, garlic, bell pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt for 5 to 7 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent, and the mushrooms have given up most of their liquid.
Add the broth mixture, rice, artichokes, and 2 teaspoons of salt, increase the heat to high, and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat to a medium simmer, cover the wok, and cook for about 10 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked through.
Remove the wok from heat, discard bay leaf, and stir in the edamame, tomatoes, and parsley. Stir through the lemon juice, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon of salt. Season with salt to taste, and serve with lemon wedges.
Recipe adapted from Mariel's Kitchen copyright © 2009. Published by Harper One, an imprint of Harper Collins Publishers
Photo by Trent Lanz and styling by Alicia Buszczak
Delicious! Thanks for sharing your yummy recipe!
Yes, this is really delicious 🙂
Great! This recipe is DELICIOUS. Enjoy 🙂
That looks incredible!!! I’m bookmarking it.