This vegan paella is ridiculously good and has something for everyone to enjoy.
Prep Time 50 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 6 oz sliced shiitake mushrooms (or cremini)
- 1 tablespoon Celtic sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking rice
- 1 pack frozen thawed artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1 cup organic shelled edamame
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeds removed, and diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- Steep the bay leaf, paprika, cayenne pepper, and saffron threads in the vegetable broth.
- In a large work over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil, and sauté the onion, garlic, bell pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt for 5 to 7 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent, and the mushrooms have given up most of their liquid.
- Add the broth mixture, rice, artichokes, and 2 teaspoons of salt, increase the heat to high, and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat to a medium simmer, cover the wok, and cook for about 10 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked through.
- Remove the wok from heat, discard bay leaf, and stir in the edamame, tomatoes, and parsley. Stir through the lemon juice, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon of salt. Season with salt to taste, and serve with lemon wedges.