June 29, 2017
This incredible tempeh bacon makes amazing BLT’s! This recipe is gluten-free and vegan and really tastes like regular bacon.
This is the most amazing tempeh bacon. It's so easy to make, is gluten-free, and really tastes like conventional bacon. This bacon makes the best BLT's!
- 1 (8oz/227g) pack gluten-free tempeh, sliced into very thin slices
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Massel beef-flavored broth (hot)(or any vegetable broth)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) wheat-free tamari
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free vegan liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons Massel beef-flavored seasoning powder (omit if you can't get it)
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Virgin coconut oil (or extra-virgin olive oil) for cooking
In a large shallow rectangular baking dish, lay the tempeh slices.
In mixing bowl, whisk together the hot broth, tamari, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, seasoning powder, maple syrup, chili powder, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper until well combined.
Pour the mixture over the tempeh slices, until evenly coated.
Cover the dish with cling wrap, and chill in the fridge to marinate for 2 to 3 hours, preferably for 8 hours or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 300°F/150°C. Line a large baking sheet with a silicone liner or parchment paper.
With tongs, gently transfer the marinated tempeh slices to the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Discard the remaining marinade.
Brush the exposed side of the tempeh slices lightly with coconut oil, and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until beginning to lightly brown. With tongs or a spatula, turn the slices over, brush the exposed side lightly with coconut oil, and bake for a further 20 to 30 minutes, until browned and crispy.
Enjoy immediately (so the tempeh stays crispy).