Homemade Pasta Sauce
This is the best pizza/pasta sauce because you can sneak 8 vegetables into your kids without them knowing!
Prep Time 40 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 40 minutes
Servings 10 cups
- 8 medium tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 red bell pepper, ribbed, seeded, and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Celtic sea salt, plus more to taste
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup shredded broccoli stalks
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 2 (15oz/425g) cans diced tomatoes and their juices
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup firmly packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a large baking tray with parchment paper or a nonstick silicone liner.
- Toss the tomatoes and bell pepper with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt.
- Spread out in single layer on the baking sheet, and roast for about 1 hour. Toss them a few times during cooking so that they roast evenly.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, warm the remaining 2 tablespoon olive oil and sauté the onions and garlic with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt for about 5 minutes, until soft and translucent.
- Add in the carrots, broccoli and zucchini and sauté for a further 5 minutes until just softened.
- Add the roasted tomatoes and peppers and their juices, the canned tomatoes and their juices, the vegetable broth, fresh basil, and sun-dried tomatoes with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, and simmer partially covered for about 20 minutes to allow the flavors to infuse.
- Allow to cool. Add in batches to your blender, and blast on high for 30 to 60 seconds until smooth and creamy.
- Return to the stove, and add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt to taste, and season with freshly ground black pepper.