Lemon Asparagus Vegan Risotto
May 28, 2019
This vegan risotto with lemon and asparagus is rich and creamy, and has a fabulous zesty note from the lemon. You won’t miss the cheese.
THE BLENDAHOLIC SHOW TRAILER
THE BLENDAHOLIC SHOW TRAILER: Hi, my name is Tess and I'm a Blendaholic. Every Monday I share super easy recipes you can make in your blender! I'm blending up smoothies, cocktails, soups, appetizers, snacks, main meals, and desserts. There isn’t anything I won’t try in a blender, and all of the recipes are mind-blowingly delicious. So, dust off your blender, and tune in to The Blendaholic every Monday at 7AM PST to find your perfect blend. Find more easy healthy recipes at The Blender Girlhttps://www.theblendergirl.com/Posted by The Blendaholic on Monday, January 22, 2018
Vegan Lemon Asparagus Risotto
This vegan risotto with lemon and asparagus is rich and creamy, and has a fabulous zesty note from the lemon. You won't even miss the cheese.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped leeks (white part only)
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup diced celery (about 4 ribs)
- 16 cups vegetable broth
- 6 cups arborio rice
- 6 cups asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces (3 bunches)
- 1 cup vegan cheese, plus more to taste
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil, and sauté the leeks and garlic with 1/4 teaspoon salt for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the green onions and celery, and sauté for a further 5 minute until just soft.
- Reduce the heat to medium, pour in 3 cups of the vegetable broth, and add the rice and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Continue adding 1 cup of vegetable broth every 5 minutes or as needed so that the rice is just covered and doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- After about 20 minutes after the rice has doubled in size and is almost cooked stir in the asparagus. Continue to add vegetable broth as needed until the rice is just cooked through and is still slightly firm to the tooth.
Stir through the lemon juice and zest, add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and then stir in the parsley and mint. Season with black pepper, and additional salt to taste.
- Serve immediately.